Phone number: 609-557-7620
Party affiliation: Democratic Party
Campaign website: Not provided
Social media: @FriendsofVerlina on Facebook
Date of Birth: 1971
Education: Bachelor of Arts, The College of New Jersey; Master of Science , Central Michigan University
Occupation: Grants Administrator, Count of Mercer (NJ)
Public/Party service: I was elected to the position of East Ward Councilwoman (2010) and Council Vice-President (2014) where I legislated laws for the City of Trenton. I proudly served 7 Â½ years on City Council before being selected to fill the vacant New Jersey Assembly seat in the 15th Legislative District in Feb. 2018. I was elected to fulfill the full, unexpired term in Nov., 2018. I currently serve on the Assembly Consumer Affairs Committee, State and Local Government Committee and Joint Committee on Economic Justice and Equal Opportunity.
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected?
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting)?
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process?
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption?
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position?
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations?
- Do you support public funding of campaigns for all statewide offices, including the legislature?
- Do you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions?