Phone number: 732-752-3100
Date of Birth: March 25, 1947
Campaign website: www.senatorbobsmith.org
Social media: Facebook – Senator Bob Smith
Education: B.A. History, Chemistry University of Scranton, M.S. Chemistry University of Scranton, M.S. Environmental Science Rutgers University, J.D. Seton Hall University
Party affiliation: Democratic
Public/Party service: Piscataway Town Council 1977-1980, Mayor of Piscataway 1981-1986, Assemblyman 1986-2001, Senator 2002-present
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position? Yes.
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting, vote by mail)? Yes.
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption? Yes.
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of state-wide Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations? No.
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process? Yes.
- Would you support instituting public funding for all statewide offices, including the legislature? Yes.
- Would you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions? Yes.
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected? No.