Phone number: 201-532-3824
Date of Birth: June 3, 1958
Campaign website: johnfmckeon.com
Social media: facebook.com/johnfmckeon
Education: 1980 Muhlenberg College; 1983 Juris Doctorate from Seton Hall University School of Law
Party affiliation: Democratic
Public/Party service: First elected to the New Jersey General Assembly on November 6, 2001. From 1998 – 2010 served as Mayor of West Orange and as a member of the Town Council from 1992-1998 prior to this.
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position? It depends.
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting, vote by mail)? Yes.
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption? It depends.
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of state-wide Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations? It depends.
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process? It depends.
- Would you support public funding of campaigns for all statewide offices, including the legislature? It depends.
- Would you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions? It depends.
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected? It depends.